Is Sushi Bad for You?

Sushi is delicious, but is it healthy or not?

The Past, Present, and Future of Sushi (NPR – On Point): http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2016/08/19/sushi-sustainable-future-prep

Sushi was once an exotic food in the United States, but now this delicious food from Japan seems to be everywhere in America. With so many people eating sushi now, a lot are wondering, is sushi healthy? Well, as is the case with many foods, there isn’t a simple yes or no answer.
Video Rating: / 5

It is the most expensive – and many would argue delicious – part of a sushi menu.
But one man’s love of sashimi nearly killed him after it led to his body becoming riddled with tapeworm.
The Chinese man had gone to his doctor complaining of stomach ache and itchy skin.

To his horror, scans revealed his entire body had been infected with tapeworm after eating too much sashimi – raw slices of fish.

Doctors believe some of the uncooked Japanese delicacy of raw meat or fish must have become contaminated.

He was treated at the Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province, in eastern China.

Research has shown that eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to a variety of parasitic infections.

29 thoughts on “Is Sushi Bad for You?

• August 30, 2017 at 2:57 pm

What if I use brown rice instead of white rice would it be healthier??

• August 30, 2017 at 3:50 pm

I hate sushi from a shop, like from a fridge. i like to buy them from a restaraunt

• August 30, 2017 at 4:39 pm

I once ate raw fish and it tasted disgusting i don't get why some people love raw fish

• August 30, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Tuna is the best. Followed by salmon, and then unagi (eel). The others are alright, but I'm not a huge fan of inari zushi.

• August 30, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Doesn't sushi have parasites on it that grow in the colon

• August 30, 2017 at 5:40 pm

mmmm I love sushi but haven't had it for a long time.

• August 30, 2017 at 6:29 pm

I absolutely LOVE sushi,from smoked salmon,prawns,California roll to egg rolls!!and I have mine usually with little or no soy sauce. My favorite is tempura prawns but not the healthiest one so i usually opt for cooked prawns instead…The problem with sushi is you can easily over eat it!!I mean,I can easily eat 4-5 sushi in one sitting without feeling stuffed or bloated or anything…but that means (with the average sushi having 200-300 cal) I have had something around 1000 calories or more!!! So when eating sushi we have to be mindful of how much we eat,I usually just get 2 and try to stick to the mind set of thats enough for me:) very informative video as always, Thanks Sarah:)

• August 30, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Dang, I feel like sushi places are trying to scam us!! Im going to pay way more attention!

• August 30, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Those are cysts from contaminated under cooked pork, stop fabricating lies

• August 30, 2017 at 9:28 pm

これは中国の女性が豚肉を生で20年間食べ続けた結果です。日本は関係ありません。

• August 30, 2017 at 10:18 pm

i wouldn't eat, or drink anything in china.it's a very capitalist country over there.they will sell you anything and try to scam you out of your money any way they can come up with.

• August 30, 2017 at 11:13 pm

I've been eating sashimi for nearly five years and almost every week and no signs of tapeworm or any other parasites what is this do I have super powers?

• August 31, 2017 at 12:12 am

ill never eat sushie i still did not taste sushi for years

• August 31, 2017 at 1:11 am

This video is dumb because:
    1.) that's not a tape worms tape worms are way longer
    2.) eating fish parasites isn't bad an actually a delicate
    3.) Never trust a robot talking 🙂

• August 31, 2017 at 2:34 am

if raw fish can give you parasites why do they serve it with sushi.

• August 31, 2017 at 3:40 am

иσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσ ι ℓσνє ѕυѕнι ωну ∂ι∂ ι ωαт¢н тнιѕ νι∂ ιf ι киσω ι ℓσνє ѕυѕнι ಥ_ಥ